Sunday, September 29, 2013

Corporate Circumlocution


Yeah, I know. Seeing the word “circumlocution” probably made you want to run away from my blog like it was chasing you with a butcher knife in the opening scene of a crime show. I only used that highfalutin’ word because I saw it in this other nerdy-cool blog. I won’t tell you what other nerdy-cool blog until you suffer through reading mine.

Circumlocution is using a slew of words when one will do. I’ve done it before, and probably will again. But if I do, I expect one of you to call me on it in order to afford me an opportunity to utilize a different approach in the event that someone has a requirement for writing in the near future.

Whew. I should have ended that sentence after “will call me on it.” At the very least, I should have written it like so: But if I do, I expect one of you to call me on it, so I’ll consider a different approach next time.

Circumlocution shows up most often in corporate, legal and academic writing. I give the lawyers a break because (a) they have to put up with a lot of lawyer jokes (b) starting a war of words with a corporate legal department never ends well. For the rest of you, heads up. Even if you’re not a writer, everybody writes something from time to time. The six rules below will help you choose words that get to the point in business letters and emails.

-Never use utilize. Use “use.”
-In a timely manner? Think “quickly” or “promptly.”
-Aforementioned, thusly, and “that being said?” Don’t even go there.
-With the exception of?  Use except.
-Carry on a conversation? Talk.
-At this point in time? Would “now” work instead? Or you can at least drop “in time.”

You’ll find other good examples of circumlocution and a fun graphic in this article in PR Daily.
What other cumbersome or convoluted phrases do you often see in business letters? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my ramblings.