Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Less Is More. Or Is It Fewer?

When I get picky about the nuances of words, some of my friends ask if my cable is out. Others question whether I'm off my meds. Hey, I'm a copywriter, people pay me to know this stuff. Okay, maybe they don't pay me to talk about it ad nauseum, but that hasn't stopped me yet.

Today's topic: less and fewer. My beloved AP Stylebook describes the distinction this way:

                   "In general, (I love it when they add a disclaimer right off the bat),
                   use fewer for individual items, less for bulk or quantity."

In other words, if you can count something, say rolls of toilet paper, use the word "fewer," as in "I really must start using fewer rolls of toilet paper." However if you talk about toilet paper in bulk, you would use the word "less," as in "I really must start using less toilet paper."

Now that you are more confused than ever, pick the correct answer from the choices below:

(a) Less than 10 people will read this stupid blog post.
(b) Fewer than 10 people will read this stupid blog post.
(c) Who cares?

The answer is (b), people are individuals you can count in this example, so you use fewer. Guess I'd better go see if the cable is back on.      

7 comments:

  1. I guess I could say I could care fewer, but that would not only be incorrect, it would be wrong. I concerned, though, that you are using too much tp. Hopefully it's not a chronic problem for you. Maybe the answer lies in fewer opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I guess I could say I could care fewer, but that would not only be incorrect, it would be wrong." (Steve)

      And it would be inaccurate. If one COULD care less, he or she must at least care some, as it is not possible to emote negative caring... unless one is careless.

      Jeff

      Delete
  2. Oh Malia, my English Idol. I'm quite certain I've violated this rule on numerous occasions, but perhaps way less/far fewer times than has Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear this ALL THE TIME in TV ads and it drives me crazy! I think the accepted misuse began when advertising folks wanted to use the opposite of more. More Music, Less Commercials was my favorite (sic). I actually worked there and complained. Why did they feel Fewer wasn't as attractive on billboards?

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Not sure why it's showing me as Unknown.....I know me.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a full shopping cart, but the sign said 8 items or less. So I changed my name to Fewer. Nah, doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know, it's just late enough in the day that I kind of like it:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my ramblings.