Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Acronym Angst




Maybe I’m suffering from a high BMI (body mass index), undiagnosed ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), or, heaven forbid, not enough HRT (hormone replacement therapy), but medical acronyms give me an unhealthy BP (blood pressure). 

There’s a number on the lab report from my last physical called BUN (blood urea nitrogen), which you’d think had something to do with the size of my spreading derriere, but is really an indication of kidney function. How can I remember if my HDL is too high or too low when I can’t even remember what HDL stands for (high density lipoprotein)?

I knew I was entering health care gobbledygook land years ago when I got my daughter’s immunization record from the pediatrician. When I finally got used to deciphering MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) and DTP (diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis), along came HPV (human papilloma virus) to be immunized against.

Maybe my acronym angst is just the result of SAD (seasonal affective disorder) since it's been raining here most of the summer. All I know is that one time when I was overdosed on acronyms after reading too many news stories, I had to think hard to remember whether DNC stands for a political convention or a gynecological procedure. 

How about you? Does the insane proliferation of acronyms, in medical jargon, sports, texts and tweets, send you on a bullet train to crazy town too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my ramblings.